Re: Web Push API intended scope

On 16 January 2016 at 08:06, Ben Last <benlast@mobify.com> wrote:
> I don't recall this being stated as a design goal or implicit requirement,
> though I may have missed it. What counts as infrequent in this context?

Maybe it wasn't express, but implied.

There are a few simple drivers for this:

1. Push messaging is intermediated and relatively slow and expensive;
direct communication is always cheaper and faster
2. ...but only when you already have a connection; maintaining a long
term connection from multiple clients is very expensive.

Therefore, push is best used when you don't have a direct
communication channel open to your site.  Use direct connections when
available, but let them close and use push when you aren't actively
using them.