Re: App-to-App interaction APIs - one more time, with feeling

Hello Daniel,

Maybe things can be said like this: copy and paste lets you choose where
you paste and what you paste, protocol handlers don't. Here's a more
detailed answer.

With a mathematical formula information at hand, you can do a zillion
things, assuming there's a single thing is not reasonable, even
temporarily. For example, a very normal workflow could be the following:
copy from a web-page, paste into a computation engine, adjust, derive,
paste into a dynamic geometry tool, then paste one of the outputs into a
mail.
Providing configurable protocol handlers, even to the finest grade, is
not a solution to this workflow I feel.

Providing dialogs to ask the user where he wants the information at hand
to be opened gets closer but there's still the idea of selection and
cursor which protocol handlers do not seem to be ready to perform.

However, I believe that copy-and-paste (and drag-and-drop) is part of an
app-to-app interaction APIs.

Paul