Re: The futile war between Native and Web

Well - there is no "direct" pathway between the browser and the chip
card terminal. And .. of course can the user manipulate all of
Javascript client-side, eg. patch variables to his liking. But that is
true (though harder) for any code that runs client side. The card
terminal could provide a rest api that would allow a browser to post the
amount to be paid into the terminal. That would be a very safe solution
- not only in regard to web, but in regard to any communications with
the card terminal as there would be now vulnerable code on the client.

mm.

On 02/16/2015 10:19 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2015-02-16 16:54, Michaela Merz wrote:
>> This discussion is (in part) superfluous. Because a lot of people and
organizations are using the web even for the most secure applications.
Heck - they even send confidential data via plain old e-mail - they
would even use AOL if that would still be possible - in other words:
Most simply don't care.  The web is THE universal applicable platform
for .. well .. everything.  So - it's the job of the browser vendors in
cooperation with the web-developers to provide an environment that is up
to the task. And I strongly believe that a safe and secure JavaScript
environment is achievable as long as the browsers do their part (strict
isolation between tabs would be such a thing).

> On paper it is doable, in reality it is not.
>
> You would anyway end-up with proprietary "AppStores" with granted
"Apps" and then I don't really see the point insisting on using
web-technology anymore.
> General code-signing like used in Windows application doesn't help, it
is just one OK button more to click before running.

> Anders
>

>> I am aware of the old notion, that JavaScript crypto is not "safe".
But I say it *can*' be.  CSP is a huge leap forward to make the browser
a safe place for the handling of confidential data.

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2015Feb/0000.html

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2015Jan/0000.html