RE: [clipboard API] platform integration stuff - in spec or out of scope?

I agree with James. The reason to have it in the list is to have a normalized name for it (instead of worrying about platform specific clipboard types). As long as the browser isn’t required to handle it or prevented from handling it, it can included to make it both readable and writable by script. I haven’t seen vender pushback, but I haven’t been involved for as long as some.

From: James M. Greene [mailto:james.m.greene@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:59 PM
To: Hallvord Steen
Cc: public-webapps; Paul Libbrecht
Subject: Re: [clipboard API] platform integration stuff - in spec or out of scope?

Allow me to clarify my position.

My expectation is NOT for the browsers' default action on "copy"/"cut" to convert HTML into RTF. I do not see any such implication of that behavior in the spec language [1].

Rather, I just want to ensure that browsers will honor/maintain that clipboard format/segment if it is set during a custom "copy" event handler using the `event.clipboardData.setData` method. The current language of the spec [2] leaves the possibility open for an implementor to choose to ignore/discard any data formats that are not on the mandatory data types list [1], and I find that worrysome.

Is the problem that spec may be implying that the browser must know what to do with the data when PASTING from a clipboard segment associated with a mandatory data type? I could see that as more of a sticking point for implementors... but again, I really just want to ensure that the "application/rtf" clipboard segment is simply left intact bi-directionally. If the spec were to be updated to generally ensure that type of maintained/untouched transfer for data types that are NOT on the mandatory data types list (i.e. "custom data types"), then I would be fine leaving "application/rtf" OFF the mandatory data types list.

Can we get some clarification on the vendor pushback reasoning in this regard?

Thanks!

[1]: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/clipops/clipops.html#mandatory-data-types

[2]: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/clipops/clipops.html#writing-contents-to-the-clipboard

Sincerely,