Re: [webcomponents]: Let's reach consensus on Shadow DOM

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com> wrote:
> So instead, I decided to start summarizing the contentious bits of the
> current Shadow DOM spec:
> https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/wiki/Shadow-DOM:-Contentious-Bits

This is really great Dimitri, thanks. All the pointers to past
discussion help a lot as well. When we discussed shadow DOM at Mozilla
at the end of last year, this was roughly our thinking for the various
points listed:

A) Having shadow inheritance would be useful and is actually something
we use in Firefox UI (through XBL).

B) We would prefer encapsulation by default.

C) We would like to come up with a distribution API. (I need to grasp
the distribution algorithm a bit better. It's still a bit unclear to
me why we can do it lazily while everything else in DOM is live.)

D) We would like these to be separated.

E) When we discussed this there were no clear thoughts on styling.
There was interest for having some kind of way to style the component
while letting the component retain control over what the outside can
actually affect. Possibly through CSS variables or some way to
restrict what properties apply.

My personal worry with shadow DOM is that frameworks such as React and
perhaps also Ember now are going in quite a different direction.
Perhaps a bit more hostile towards DOM, but with server-side rendering
not necessarily more hostile towards users. So while we solve a
problem some developers have today, it's not necessarily clear this is
how pages will be written going forward.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/