Re: do not deprecate synchronous XMLHttpRequest

Well .. may be some folks should take a deep breath and think what they
are doing. I am 'just' coding web services and too often I find myself
asking: Why did the guys think that this would make sense? Indexeddb is
such a case. It might be a clever design, but it's horrible from a
coders perspective.

Would it have been the end of the world to stick with some kind of
database language most coders already are familiar with? Same with (sand
boxed) file system access. Google went the right way with functions
trying to give us what we already knew: files, dirs, read, write,
append.  But that's water under the bridge.

I have learned to code my stuff in a way that I have to invest time and
work so that my users don't have to. This is IMHO a good approach.
Unfortunately - some people up the chain have a different approach.
Synchronous calls are bad. Get rid of them. Don't care if developers
have a need for it. Why bother. Our way or highway. Frankly - I find
that offensive.  If you believe that synchronous calls are too much of a
problem for the browser, find a way for the browser to deal with it.

Building browsers and adding functionality is not and end in itself. The
purpose is not to make cool stuff. We don't need people telling us what
we are allowed to do. Don't get me wrong: I really appreciate your work
and I am exited about what we can do in script nowadays. But please give
more thought to the folks coding web sites. We are already dealing with
a wide variety of problems: From browser incompatibilities, to
responsive designs, server side development, sql, memcached, php, script
- you name it. Try to make our life easier by keeping stuff simple and
understandable even for those, who don't have the appreciation or the
understanding what's going on under the hood of a browser.

Thanks.

Michaela

On 02/06/2015 09:54 AM, Florian Bösch wrote:

>     I had an Android device, but now I have an iPhone. In addition to
the popup problem, and the fake "X" on ads, the iPhone browsers (Safari,
Chrome, Opera) will start to show a site, then they will lock up for
10-30 seconds before finally becoming responsive.

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/15/02/04/1626232/ask-slashdot-gaining-control-of-my-mobile-browser

>     Note: Starting with Gecko 30.0 (Firefox 30.0 / Thunderbird 30.0 /
SeaMonkey 2.27), synchronous requests on the main thread have been
deprecated due to the negative effects to the user experience.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/XMLHttpRequest/Synchronous_and_Asynchronous_Requests

>     Heads up! The XMLHttpRequest2 spec was recently changed to
prohibit sending a synchronous request whenxhr.responseType is set. The
idea behind the change is to help mitigate further usage of synchronous
xhrs wherever possible.