Re: Are web components *seriously* not namespaced?

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 8:31 AM, Glen <glen.84@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know I'm rather late to the party, but I've been doing a lot of reading
> lately about web components and related technologies, and the one thing that
> confounds me is the fact that web components appear not to have any "real"
> namespacing.

Prefix-based informal namespacing appears to be more than sufficient
for 90%+ of use-cases.  It works fine, for example, for the huge
collection of jQuery widgets/extensions.  Complicating things further
simply isn't all that necessary.

We do plan to help solve it at some point, as Dimitri says, as there
are some cases where real namespacing is useful.  In particular, if
you have a name that you can assume is globally unique with high
confidence, you can actually share custom elements across documents.
Within a single page, however, prefix-based informal namespaces are
nearly always sufficient.

XML Namespaces are a pox on the platform, however, and they'll
definitely not get reproduced in custom elements.  They have a number
of terrible affordances.

~TJ