Re: Minimum viable custom elements

hi ted,

I think others have responded to your question, but wanted to chip in.
I agree that for non interactive elements the usefulness of type extensions
is limited, but not useless.
For example: An experiment subclassing footer [5] and one implementing the
HTML5 outline algorithm [6]

There has been a popular mantra in regards to web accessibility support and
the benefits of native HTML

"built in is better than bolt on"

See the First rule of ARIA [1]

With custom tags everything must be bolted on, with type extensions this is
not the case.

In order to make custom interactive elements accessible and usable by
people with disabilities, there are a lot of hoops developers must jump
through. [3] I think reducing this burden on the developer is a worthwhile
technical design consideration for Custom Element implementation in
browsers.

See the Custom Elements Semantics section of the Custom Elements spec [2]
and the recent article by Bruce Lawson
'On the accessibility of web components. Again'. [4] which includes a link
to an example of a input type radio type extension [7]. Another example is
a disclosure button type extension [8].

It may be that it is too hard to implement type extensions (i freely admit
much of the discussion on this thread is over my head), but I do not think
that it should be dismissed out of hand or that the consideration should
characterised as "longdesc mark II" ;-)

[1] http://w3c.github.io/aria-in-html/#first-rule-of-aria-use
[2] http://w3c.github.io/webcomponents/spec/custom/#semantics
[3]