Re: Custom element design with ES6 classes and Element constructors

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you say more about why same-identity upgrading is critical to the design
> (as opposed to dom-mutation upgrading)? I asked up-thread but didn't get any
> takers.

I tried to summarize the various upgrade scenarios here (as well as
the other issues):

  https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/CustomElements

None of them seem particularly attractive :-(

> More generally, once people start writing libraries of HTMLElement
> subclasses, our ability to add new callback names for all elements is going
> to become pretty dicey, and we'll probably be forced into symbols anyway. We
> may as well avoid a future inconsistency and just namespace DOM-supplied
> callbacks separately from user-supplied properties and methods.

Agreed that now that we have symbols we should start using them to
avoid collisions.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/