Re: Async Image -> ImageData conversion

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 7:07 AM, Ashley Gullen <ashley@scirra.com> wrote:

> I've updated the draft with an ImageBitmap.transferToImageData() method:
> https://www.scirra.com/labs/specs/imagebitmap-conversion-extensions.html
> It's also used in Example 2 to demonstrate converting a Blob to an
> ImageData without redundantly copying the pixel data.
>
> I don't think we should extend HTMLImageElement because it is not
> available in workers. Adding the conversion methods to ImageBitmap allows
> workers to perform conversions using Blob (compressed image data) in the
> place of HTMLImageElement.
>
> I like the suggestion that "ImageBitmap be the hub of image conversion",
> which is why I think it makes sense to add these methods to ImageBitmap and
> not create() methods on other objects. In particular
> transferToImageBitmap() seems like it ought to be an ImageBitmap method
> since it mutates the ImageBitmap, whereas something like
> ImageData.transferFrom(imageBitmap) seems unintuitive if it mutates its
> parameter.

If I am not mistaken, ImageBitmaps were not intended to be mutated. So far
I always assumed the intended behavior of transferToImageBitmap() was that
it created a new ImageBitmap. The difference with createImageBitmap is that
the transfer semantic guarantees zero copying, which implies that the
source object has to be neutered. transferToImageBitmap should only be
necessary for transferring from objects that have mutable pixels data
(ImageData, canvas).