Re: Making ARIA and native HTML play better together

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>

> On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently ARIA does not do this stuff AFAIK.
>
> Correct. ARIA only exposes strings to AT. We could maybe make it do more, once we understand what more means, which is basically figuring out HTML as Custom Elements...

These are my thoughts as well. The proposal seems nice as a convenient way to get a given bundle of behaviors. But we *really* need to stop considering these "roles" as atomic, and instead break them down into what they really mean.

In other words, I want to explain the "button" behavior as something like:

- Default-focusable
- Activatable with certain key commands
- Announced by AT as a button

and then I want to be able to apply any of these abilities (or others like them) to any given custom element. Once we have these lower-level primitives we'll be in a much better place.