Re: Shadow DOM: state of the distribution API

> On May 6, 2015, at 2:39 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> The 3 proposal is what the houdini effort is already researching for custom style/layout/paint. I don't think it's acceptable to make all usage of Shadow DOM break when used with libraries that read layout information today, ie. offsetTop must work. I also don't think it's acceptable to introduce new synchronous hooks and promote n^2 churn in the distribution.

Sorry, I don't follow. If we're making offsetTop to synchronously return the correct value, then authors can easily write code that performs in Ω(n^2) by obtaining the value of offsetTop between adding/removing direct children of a shadow host.  On the other hand, if we're trying to prevent O(n^2) behavior, then we should be adding API to asynchronously retrieve layout information.

- R. Niwa