Re: Proposal for changes to manage Shadow DOM content distribution

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Jan Miksovsky <jan@component.kitchen>
wrote:

> Hi Tab,
>
> Thanks for your feedback!
>
> A primary motivation for proposing names instead of CSS selectors to
> control distribution is to enable subclassing. We think it’s important for
> a subclass to be able to override a base class insertion point.

I understand this motivation and think it's a great point that hasn't (yet)
received enough attention...

But I think we would give up to much user ergonomics in exchange for it
under this proposal. I think we can relatively easily add the ability to
redirect nodes into distribution points of base classes to the existing
system which gives some control to authors on how to select nodes for
distribution.

> That seems easier to achieve with a name. It lets content insertion points
> behave like named DOM-valued component parameters that can be overridden by
> subclasses.
>
> To use an example, consider the page template component example at
> https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/wiki/Shadow-DOM-Design-Constraints-In-Examples#page-templates.
> The image shows a page template for a large university web site. In this
> example, a base page template class defines a header slot. A university
> department wants to create a subclass of this template that partially
> populates some of the base class’ slots. In this case, it may want to add
> the department name to the header slot, then redefine an insertion point
> with the name that lets an individual page in that department add
> additional text to the header.
>
> The physics department page template subclass could then write something
> like this (following the proposal's syntax):
>
> <template>
>     Physics Department
>     <content slot=“header”></content>
> <template>
>
> If an instance of this page then says
>
> <physics-department-page>
>   <header>Faculty</header>
> </physics-department-page>

I know you mistakenly used a <header> tag rather than content-slot here,
but I think it shows my point: this here (using header tags) might be the
better API, and I feel that the element author should be able to offer it
instead of forcing users to add "content-slot" attributes everywhere.

I think this proposal targets custom element subclassers at the expense of
custom element users. Yes, subclassers might need fine-grained control over
routing children and distributed nodes into base class distribution points.
But should end-users have to use the same API surface for that? For custom
elements to be successful we don't just need to appeal to element authors,
but in turn to their users.

Cheers,
  Justin

then the rendered result shows “Physics Department Faculty” in the base