Re: Proposal for changes to manage Shadow DOM content distribution

> On Apr 22, 2015, at 2:38 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:
>>> On Apr 22, 2015, at 8:52 AM, Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me> wrote:
>>> Between content-slot-specified slots, attribute-specified slots, element-named slots, and everything-else-slots, we're now in a weird place where we've reinvented a micro-language with some, but not all, of the power of CSS selectors. Is adding a new micro-language to the web platform worth helping implementers avoid the complexity of implementing CSS selector matching in this context?
>>
>> I don't think mapping an attribute value to a slot is achievable with a content element with select attribute.
>
> <content select="[my-attr='the slot value']">

No. That's not what I'm talking here.  I'm talking about putting the attribute value into the insertion point in [1] [2] [3], not distributing an element based on an attribute value.

> On Apr 22, 2015, at 2:38 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:
>> I don't think defining a slot based on an attribute value is something we'd like to support.
>
> That is *literally* what your proposal already is, except limited to
> only paying attention to the value of the "content-slot" attribute.

Distributing elements based on the value of a single well scoped attribute versus of an arbitrary attribute is A HUGE difference.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2015AprJun/0188.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2015AprJun/0188.html>
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2015AprJun/0190.html <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2015AprJun/0190.html>
[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2015AprJun/0195.html

- R. Niwa