Re: Mozilla and the Shadow DOM

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 2:41 AM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org> wrote:
> I don't think you need to duplicate anything. The super class can still fill
> in the original shadow root, then the subclass can modify it. This is the
> same concept of the prototype inheritance, your methods will shadow the
> super class methods, but you can just call them and then extend the
> behavior.

In this case the subclass would have to poke into the superclass'
shadow DOM. If at any point those writing the superclass decide to
change the structure of that DOM they might end up breaking a subclass
they had no knowledge of. Allowing insertion of the whole shadow DOM
allows for changes that have fewer side effects.

Having said that, if your comment means that Google is no longer
interested in keeping this, we can probably be persuaded to keep this
out of a cross-browser v1 of shadow DOM.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/