Re: user-agent header control

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> This issue came up several times in the past when people asked for in-
> cluding proper rationale in the specification. The response was e.g.
>
>   Because they are better handled by the user agent. Charsets and
>   encodings are transparent to the API and the user agent surely
>   knows Referer and User-Agent better.
>
> in <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2008May/0408>.

>From that thread I think
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2008May/0456.html
is much more telling and combined with your earlier email on Expect is
why no action was taken at the time.

I think we've learned since then that there might be some value in
setting User-Agent as well that perhaps trumps the argument there. And
setting Referer to a same-origin URL is probably harmless as well.
(Especially since you can get mostly that effect anyway by using
service workers.)

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/