Re: New approach to activities/intents

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 1:38 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
> wrote:
> > FWIW, I think we should be concentrating on something like the Tubes (aka
> > navigator.connect): https://github.com/dglazkov/tubes
> >
> > It is hard to impossible to get these types APIs right on the first try.
> > That's why we need to create a clearinghouse for capability experiments
> and
> > be data-driven in designing the right API.
>
> It's still not clear to me what the advantage is of creating a
> framework for designing proprietary APIs.

If we don't do something like this as a platform, we'd be always lagging
behind. Many new ideas start as proprietary. It takes time for these ideas
to take shape and travel toward larger acceptance -- or die.  Instead of
shunning these ideas until they mature -- and thus effectively shut the
door to any innovation, we should embrace them and give them a place in the
platform.

Take
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/realsense-overview.html
as an example. It's unclear whether this will lead to anything great. It's
even less clear what the Web platform API should look like, or whether this
will every result on a standard API. However, if we wait until clarity, we
as a platform would lose the ability to participate in the virtuous
innovation cycle and, as a result, lose more developer mindshare.

FWIW, it is perfectly reasonable for us to admit that we as a platform aim
to always be years behind other platforms. But then we should make this
clear and communicate it to developers who keep trying to not give up on
the Web as a viable modern development platform.

:DG<