Re: New approach to activities/intents

(I realise that my reply went to public-webapps instead of whatwg, not
sure why. I will blame my email client :))

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014, at 20:36, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> > Wouldn't be worth experimenting first with a list of predefined share
> > endpoints (that you anyway might want to have) and see if the feature is
> > actually something that users are looking for?
>
> We have something like that in Firefox Nightly. Apple ships something
> similar in Safari. Both can be extended through proprietary APIs.

I think it would be great if Mozilla could keep track of the usage of
this feature and share that data.

> > Furthermore, wouldn't
> > that make sense to have a similar mechanism than Open Search and have a
> > way for a website to advertise its share endpoint(s)? Maybe the Manifest
> > could be a good use for that. Generally speaking, I see a lot of common
> > aspects between Open Search and this proposal.
>
> Maybe. It would be even less flexible and depend even more on user
> interface innovation from the user agent.

I don't think the issue here is flexibility. It's extensibility. You
want website to be able to advertise themselves in that list. Thus,
websites will only try to do so if they see a benefit in doing that, in
other words, if that feature is actually used by Firefox users.

As a side note, I don't think that innovation always need to come from
new APIs. That feature sounds like a great opportunity to innovate
within the browser UI then iterate with an API.

-- Mounir