Re: Service worker popup (rich notification)

On 02.10.2014 21:34, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM, John Mellor <johnme@google.com> wrote:
>>> This seems to either require a somewhat stronger trust signal from the user,
>>> or a very easy mechanism for revoking the permission if the website does
>>> spam you; and probably in either case showing the url bar should be
>>> compulsory to prevent phishing. But this isn't something we've thought about
>>> deeply yet.
>>
>> Indeed. The Notifications API is nice, but it's not suitable for this.
>> You need a browsing context of sorts so you can show images, video,
>> buttons, etc.
>
> Indeed. I wouldn't call these notifications at all. What's needed here
> is to launch full browser windows so that we can display full-screen
> or full-window UIs to the user. To make matters even more complicated,
> generally speaking you want to be able to do this on a mobile device,
> even if it's "locked".
>
> I.e. an alarm clock app wouldn't be terribly useful if it only worked
> when the device was unlocked. And a skype app wouldn't be terribly
> useful if you could only receive calls when the device was unlocked.
>
> Fortunately, while this goes outside the browser window, it doesn't
> "break the same-origin boundary". So it should be quite possible to
> solve this the same way we're planning on solving other such APIs,
> like storage, indexedDB and notifications. I.e. make the API async and
> then leave it up to UAs to implement policies.
>
> / Jonas

We have something similar in FirefoxOS per-app window:
window.open(url, "", "dialog");

We also have the so called "attention" screen, that requires a special
permission and is on top of everything (e.g. for alarm clocks and
incoming calls):
window.open(url, "", "attention");

Which of these use-cases are we discussing here?