Re: CfC: publish LCWD of Screen Orientation API; deadline September 18

"Second, I'm still very worried that people will interpret
screen.orientation.angle=0 as portrait. I don't expect to be able to
convince people here to remove the property. However I think it would
be good to at least make it clear in the spec that the .angle property
can not be used to detect portrait vs. landscape."

Maybe it should be clear in the spec if it

1. disregards coherence with other orientation related specs and their
implementations or
2. tries to look over the fence and address issues like: "on any particular
device, setting landscape-primary, if the user holds the device like *this*
the XYZ-readings from DeviceMotion will be *that*"  IMO - a very, very
common use case and a reason to use orientation lock in the first place.

if (1) - go ahead with whatever is done
if (2) - then *please* try to fix it (and involve DeviceMotion/Orientation)

I realize that there are also issues in the DeviceOrientation camp, where
at least iPhones, some Android devices and FirefoxOS KEON seems to report
back values with different orientation and scale using the same webapp
test.  It could be interesting to check with some modern "Landscape
oriented" devices (how the manufacturers decided to hook up the
accelerometer, the mapping to the web engine and if it should flip on
screen rotation) - but they seem hard to find these days.

Anyway - besides the complains about the spec itself, it's nice that there
is at least *some* sort of orientation locking available now ;). Check
these to see the differences between devices:

https://eu1.empirikit.com/mobile/darts/
and
https://eu1.empirikit.com/mobile/accdemo.html

(demos in flux.. I can send a copy if seen valuable)

br
Lars