Re: CfC: publish LCWD of Screen Orientation API; deadline September 18

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, at 21:52, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> > It effectively comes down to the fact that the specification describes
> > something, but Chrome implements it in another way per how I suggested
> > it should work (using "animation frame tasks").
>
> So this appears to be [Issue-40] and I think a one-line summary is the
> Editors consider this something that can be deferred to the next version
> and Anne considers it something that should be addressed before LC is
> published.
>
> Vis-a-vis this CfC, it seems the main options are:
>
> 1. Continue to work on this issue with the goal of getting broader
> consensus on the resolution
>
> 2. Publish the LC "as is"
>
> 3. Publish the LC "as is" but explicitly highlight this Issue and ask
> for Implementer/Developer feedback
>
> 4. Other options?
>
> Of course, I'd like to hear from others but I tend to think we should
> first try #1 (especially since Anne indicates the spec and at least one
> implementations are currently not aligned).
>
> Mounir, Marcos - would you please work with Anne on a mutually agreeable
> solution?

Last I checked, animation frame task was still underdefined. This is
what you can read in the WHATWG's fullscreen specification:
"Animation frame task is not really defined yet, including relative
order within that task, see bug 26440."

In my opinion, if the spec is changed to use "animation frame task", it
would not change much in the current state of things.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why Anne is so loudly complaining about that
issue. The issue was not closed or waived but postponed until we can
properly hooked to the thing. LC doesn't freeze the specification and we
could definitely get this fixed before moving to CR.

What I suggested to him on IRC and what I believe is the best approach
to reconcile the two worlds (WHATWG live standards and W3C snapshots) is
to take the current version of the spec to LC and update the ED to use
animation frame task and mark it as a WIP feature. I opened issue 75
last week as a reminder to do that.

Arthur, what do you think of that solution?

-- Mounir