Re: File API: reading a Blob

+Aaron

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Aymeric Vitte <vitteaymeric@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  But I suppose that should be one of the first use case for Google to
> introduce streams with MSE, no?

We're (and will) sharing updates about Streams with MSE folk (Aaron). MSE
side would be updated once Streams API becomes stable enough for them to
start revising.

> To be more clear about what I mean by "back pressure for things coming
> from outside of the browser":
>
> - XHR: the Streams API should define how xhr gets chunks using Range
> according to the flow and adapt accordingly transparently for the users

We're not thinking of involving multiple HTTP transactions for one send().
That's beyond current XHR semantics. I think even if we implement that kind
of feature, we should add it as a new mode or API, not as a new
responseType.

What we plan to do is connecting the Streams API's back pressure with TCP
congestion control. Since socket API doesn't expose much details to user,
we'll just control frequency and the size of buffer to pass to read(2).

> - WebSockets: use something like bufferedAmount but that can be notified
> to the users, so the users can adapt the flow, currently bufferedAmount is
> not extremely usefull since you might need to do some polling to check it.

For WebSockets, there're two approaches of Streams integration.
ReadableStream of messages or ReadableStream of ArrayBuffer representing
chunks of the payload of a message.

We need to discuss that first.