Re: Proposal for a Permissions API

On September 4, 2014 at 4:14:57 PM, Florian Bösch (pyalot@gmail.com) wrote:
> This is an issue to use, for a user.
>
> - http://codeflow.org/issues/permissions.html
> - http://codeflow.org/issues/permissions.jpg

This sets up an unrealistic straw-man. Are there any real sites that would need to show all of the above all at the same time?

> - In firefox it's a succession of popup
>
> It's also an issue to use for a developer, because the semantics and
> methods for requesting, getting, being denied and managing permissions
> differ. Sometimes permissions aren't query able.

It is more worthwhile addressing the above, so to avoid the sequence of pop-ups.

> It's my stated opinion that ignoring these issue will not make them go
> away. And delaying addressing UX and consistency issues just contributes to
> a proliferation of bad UX and inconsistent and difficult to use APIs.

Absolutely, we should be addressing them at the API level. For instance, adding a way to determine if the permission has been granted in Geo without actually needing to use the API.