Re: First Draft of W3C version of URL Spec

On Fri, 2014-08-29 at 21:04 +0200, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> > "W3C-specific note: This specification documents current RFC 3986 and RFC
> > 3987 handling in contemporary Web browser implementations. As a consequence,
> > this specification is not compatible with those RFCs. It is published for
> > the purpose of providing a stable reference for the HTML5 specification and
> > reflecting current Web browser HTML5 implementations. The W3C Technical
> > Architecture Group expects to continue the work on the URL specification and
> > produce a future version that will attempt to re-align the URL specification
> > with an updated version of RFC 3986 while preserving interoperability."
>
> That's a contradictory goal. Anyway, if W3C actually wanted to help
> here they would focus on getting implementations aligned with the
> specification before starting to fork and seed confusion. That's the
> biggest problem for the web at the moment when it comes to URLs.

I would qualify it as ambitious, rather than contradictory. :)
Re-aligning the URL specification with RFC3986.next will take time and a
lot of effort, especially with the intent of preserving
interoperability.

And yes, for the immediate short term, the focus is on aligning the Web
implementations with the specification as much as we can.

Philippe