From:   Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
To:     nmork_consultant@cusa.canon.com,
Cc:     public-webapps@w3.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date:   08/01/2014 07:13 AM
Subject:        Re: =[xhr]

On Aug 1, 2014 9:52 AM, <nmork_consultant@cusa.canon.com> wrote:

> Thank you for letting me know my input is not desired.

As Tab said, you can visually and functionally lock user input in your tab
and even provide a progress meter. Nothing you suggest is difficult with a
sync xhr and promises, and it's less hostile.  How is this unreasonable?

> From:        "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> To:        nmork_consultant@cusa.canon.com,
> Cc:        public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
> Date:        08/01/2014 06:46 AM
> Subject:        Re: =[xhr]
>

> On Aug 1, 2014 8:39 AM, <nmork_consultant@cusa.canon.com> wrote:
> >
> > Spinner is not sufficient.  All user activity must stop.  They can
take  a coffee break if it takes too long.  Browser must be frozen and
locked down completely.  No other options are desirable.  All tabs, menus,
etc. must be frozen.  That is exactly the desired result.

> By "spinner", I also meant freezing other parts of the page as
necessary, or obscuring them so they can't be clicked.

> Asking to freeze the rest of the browser is unnecessary and extremely
user-hostile, and we don't support allowing content to do that.