Re: [HTML Imports] What is the imagined work flow?

Correct, you wouldn't always want to add it to the document head.

Yes I see there would still be semantic issues...I guess the
safest/easiest way would be to have the developer state what type the
resources are.
How you would do that in a clean fashion I'm not sure...