Feedback on custom elements and virtual DOM

On Jul 2, 2014, at 3:57 AM, Brian Di Palma <offler@gmail.com> wrote:
> I gave a workshop on ES6 and Web Components at a small conference in
> London and there was positive feedback on Custom Elements.
> People liked them, felt the component approach was a good way to model
> web applications. Then again React has similar concepts.

We tend to hear "people like the idea" a lot about web components but the devil is in the details in our industry.  Could you elaborate more on which aspects of web components or custom elements developers liked?

> Programming with the DOM as the local `this` pointer is nice and went down well.
> I wish we could meld the virtual DOM idea with Custom Elements as that
> would be the best of both worlds.

Could you elaborate more on what you mean by melding virtual DOM idea with custom elements?  Are you thinking of equating virtual DOM in React with shadow DOM?  Or are you talking about something else?

> Turning view components into a set of pure functions is a fantastic
> way of dealing with mutable state.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

- R. Niwa