Re: Fallout of non-encapsulated shadow trees

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan@secure.meer.net> wrote:
> Domenic Denicola wrote:
>>
>> From: Brendan Eich [mailto:brendan@secure.meer.net]

>> Sure. But I don't think the proposed type 2 encapsulation explains any of
>> the platform at all.
>

> Are you sure? Because Gecko has used XBL (1) to implement, e.g., <input
> type=file>, or so my aging memory says. That's "good enough" and it has
> shipped for years, unless I'm mistaken.

XBL is either type 3, or it's type 2 but weak/magical enough that it
doesn't actually expose anything.  Gecko does *not* today leak any
internal details of <input type=file>, in the way that type 2 web
components would leak; that would be a major security breach.
(Leaking other elements would be something between a bug and a
security breach, depending on the element.)

~TJ