RE: Proposal: External Protocol Handling

Kosta has pretty much covered it. Web Intents as well as current browser implementations are heavily geared towards web-based protocol handling, potentially at the expense of external handlers.

The final question in my initial e-mail " Should it be better aligned with web-based protocol handling? If so, how?" was intended to allude to that - I probably should have been more specific.

-----Original Message-----
From: Konstantin Welke
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 7:01 AM
To: James Greene; Ben Johnson
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org; Kenneth Auchenberg; Mathieu Hofman
Subject: Re: Proposal: External Protocol Handling

Hi!

I think the biggest difference is that web intents work between web pages, whereas this is used to launch installed programs on the user’s computer.

Think about this use case: A web page with a list of ssh hosts. When you click on a link, the JS on the page calls
navigator.launchUri(“ssh://hostname”) to try to launch your SSH agent. If a handler for the “ssh://“ protocol is installed, it presents the user with a dialog window to ask whether they want to launch their SSH client (e.g. “PuTTY" on Windows, ssh in a terminal on Mac, Unix*).

If the user accepts, the SSH client is launched and the JS successCallback is executed; If the user rejects or no SSH client is registered, the SSH client is not launched and the noHandlerCallback is executed.

Currently, one can do that using a plain link or an iframe - however the user experience is pretty bad if e.g. no protocol handler client is installed (depending on the browser). Each browser has different gotchas and limitations that we currently need to work around.

We would like to have a stable, well-defined API for this that also allows to handle the “user declined / protocol handler is not installed” case gracefully. As an example, the web page could show a UI to tell the user how to install an SSH client.

Cheers,
Kosta

PS: Sorry for the long signature...
--
Konstantin Welke
Senior Software Developer

Work better. Live better.
Citrix Online Germany GmbH | Erzbergerstr. 117 | D-76133 Karlsruhe
Geschäftsführer: Tommy Ahlers | Michael DiFilippo | David Zalewski Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 713721 Citrix Online UK Ltd <http://www.citrixonline.com/imprint-en.tmpl>