Re: [gamepad] preventing default/capturing controller

Sorry, meant to respond to this earlier but wanted to make sure the
relevant details were already public.

Valve's upcoming Steam
controller<http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/>provides
a good use case for an API like this. The controller's touchpads
can be used to emulate mouse and keyboard input, making it possible to
navigate the browser with it. This could be a really nice way to use a
browser in a living room setting or similar. The controller can also be
switched to a gamepad emulation mode, however, where the touchpads emulate
standard joysticks. These modes can be switched via software by sending the
appropriate USB reports (Or using the right Steamworks API, but that'
probably a non-starter for inclusion in a browser). The timing of that
switch, however, would be difficult to predict. Having an explicit "gamepad
lock" like Patrick described would help this scenario quite a bit.

--Brandon