Re: On starting WebWorkers with blob: URLs...

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Mar 2014, Arun Ranganathan wrote:
> >> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#originOfBlobURL
> >
> > LGTM. Assuming that UAs implement this, that makes Workers automatically
> > support blob: URLs, too.
>
> I don't think this is the way we should go about this. I don't
> understand why a blob URL would have an origin. Simply fetching a blob
> URL will work and the response won't be tainted and therefore it
> should work. Trying to couple origins with strings seems like a bad
> idea.

If you can load a blob URL as a worker, then it would become the origin of
the worker, right?  (That could matter more if blobs weren't same-origin
only and after cross-origin workers are supported.)

(I don't understand why blobs are only accessible by the same origin.  They
contain an unguessable random string anyway.)

--
Glenn Maynard