Re: [admin] Mapping Blink Intent to {Implement,Ship} to Recommendation milestones? [Was: Re: Fwd: [blink-dev] Intent to implement: Push API]

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>wrote:

> On 3/11/14 5:45 PM, ext Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>
>> FYI. For those not used to Blink's process, that doesn't mean the
>> feature is planning to ship yet but Google is working on this. The API
>> we are aiming for is a bit different from what the specification
>> currently describes as mentioned in the original message.
>>

> Thanks for this info Mounir.
>
> Since I'm one of "those", I'd like to understand if the Blink process has
> some type of mapping or considerations or guidelines re Intent to Implement
> and Intent to Ship vis-a-vis Recommendation milestones? Would you please
> elaborate on that or provide a link to such information?

An "Intent to Implement" can be seen as a heads-up to the Blink community
that someone is planning to work on implementing a certain feature. While
initial concerns and feedback can be raised at this time, no formal
approval is necessary to move forward. The goal of this stage is to inform
the Blink community of your plans, and begin raising consensus about the
given feature being a good idea. This does not necessarily mean that Blink
and/or Chromium agree with a specification -- this will often be outlined
in the intent.

An "Intent to Ship" follows when the implementation is (nearly) complete,
and the developers would like to move forward with enabling the feature by
default in Blink, and thereby Chromium and potential other Blink consumers.
This is where the Blink API owners, a group of people responsible for
enforcing that new features follow the project’s policies, need to approve
that this feature does follow the Blink guidelines, is in line with the
project's goals, and that the implementation is mature enough to be shipped
to end-users. Three API owners need to agree with shipping a feature before
this happens.

In regards to Recommendation milestones, an approved Intent to Ship means
that Blink considers the implementation to be mature enough, and that the
feature itself will be enabled by default in future releases of, say,
Chromium.

The process and compatibility guidelines are more carefully documented here:
  http://www.chromium.org/blink

Thanks,
Peter

Based on a quick scan of [blink-dev] for WebApps' specs, I noticed the