Re: Why can't we just use constructor instead of createdCallback?

Another alternative is to disallow DOM traversal and DOM mutation inside
these constructors. By disallow I mean throw an error! Here is a rough
outline of what the algorithm might look like.

Let there be a global counter CostomElementConstructionCounter which is
initially set to 0.

1. Parse and build the DOM tree as usual. Keep track of all custom elements
we encounter.
2. At some later point, before any script is run:
3. For each pending custom element (in tree order):
  1. Create the instance objects for the custom element.
  2. Increment CostomElementConstructionCounter
  3. Call the constructructor for the custom element, passing the object
instance as `this`.
  4. Decrement CostomElementConstructionCounter

Then we need to guard all DOM traversal and DOM mutation methods and throw
if the counter is non zero.

The point is that the timing of the constructor invocation is mostly not
observable. If an implementation wants to invoke it as it builds the DOM
that also works since there is no way to traverse the tree at that time.

--
erik