Re: contentEditable=minimal

On May 27, 2014, at 1:33 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 27/05/2014 01:47 , Ben Peters wrote:
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Robin Berjon
>>>
>>> I don't know what languages the others speak. That said, my
>>> recollection was that this was presented along the lines of "we've
>>> had regular requests to support selecting text in geometric rather
>>> than logical orders".
>>
>> I have also heard these requests from the bi-directional experts here
>> at Microsoft. A single, unbroken selection is what we're told users
>> want, and multi-selection makes this possible.
>
> Thinking about this a little bit more: I don't imagine that the Selection API should prescribe the UI that browsers choose to support in order to select bidi text, on the contrary they should be allowed to innovate, experiment, follow various platform conventions, etc. But if we don't support multi-range selection, then only one model is possible which precludes unbroken selections.
>
> I think that this strongly pushes in the direction of supporting multiple ranges.

I agree visual selection of bidirectional text is a problem worth solving but I don't think adding a generic multi-range selection support to the degree Gecko does is the right solution.  For starters, most of author scripts completely ignore all but the first range, and applying editing operations to a multi-range selection is a nightmare.

- R. Niwa