Re: WebApp installation via the browser

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any platforms providing the feature? Has the feature gained
> any traction among the platform vendors?

The webapps platform that we use in FirefoxOS and Firefox Desktop
allows any website to be an app store. I *think*, though I'm not 100%
sure, that this works in Firefox for Android as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "side loaded", but we're definitely
trying to allow normal websites to provide the same experience as the
firefox marketplace. The user doesn't have to turn on any "developer
mode" or otherwise do anything otherwise "special" to use such a
marketplace. The user simply needs to browse to the website/webstore
and start using it.

The manifest spec that is being developed in this WG is the first step
towards standardizing the same capability set. It doesn't yet have the
concept of an "app store", instead any website can self-host itself as
an app.

It's not clear to me if there's interest from other browser vendors
for allowing websites to act as app stores, for now we're focusing the
standard on simpler use cases.

/ Jonas