Re: [manifest] Fetching restriction, Re: [manifest] Update and call for review

On May 27, 2014 at 3:31:15 PM, Ben Francis (bfrancis@mozilla.com) wrote:
> > To be clear, this is the case I was talking about. The benefit
> is that it makes it much easier to build a large "app store" of "tailored
> app experiences for sites that lack manifests" without the involvement
> of app authors themselves. For example,everything.me(http://everything.me)
> may have a larger catalogue of "web apps" than the Firefox Marketplace
> because the latter requires same-origin manifests and for app
> authors to submit their own apps, whereas the former doesn't
> require any involvement from app authors themselves.
>
> One risk of allowing cross-origin manifests might be that these
> "tailored app experiences" are perceived by the actual app author
> and/or end users as a "fake app" masquerading as the real thing.
> In the longer term when additional features are added to the manifest
> there could be additional risks.
>
> That is why I'm interested in feedback on whether this is a desirable
> feature or not.

That's a very good summary of both the use case and the problems. I'm also interested in hearing feedback. As Ben makes clear, "same-origin" basically kills installations from custom stores.

It means one or two additional clicks for users to "install" an app - but we assure that apps are always being installed from "the source".

--
Marcos Caceres