Re: IndexedDB >> Proposed API Change: cursor.advance BACKWARD when direction is "prev"

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>wrote:

> [ Bcc www-tag ; Marc - please use public-webapps for IDB discussions ]
>
> On 5/20/14 7:46 PM, marc fawzi wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've been using IndexedDB for a week or so and I've noticed that
>> cursor.advance(n) will always move n items forward regardless of cursor
>> direction. In other words, when the cursor direction is set to "prev" as
>> in: range = IDBKeyRange.only(someValue, "prev") and primary key is
>> auto-incremented, the cursor, upon cursor.advance(n), will actually advance
>> n items in the opposite direction to the cursor.continue() operation.

That runs contrary to the spec. Both continue() and advance() reference the
"steps for iterating a cursor" which picks up the direction from the cursor
object; neither entry point alters the steps to affect the direction.

When you say "you've noticed", are you observing a particular browser's
implementation or are you interpreting the spec? I did a quick test and
Chrome, Firefox, and IE all appear to behave as I expected when intermixing
continue() and advance() calls with direction 'prev' - the cursor always
moves in the same direction regardless of which call is used.

Can you share sample code that demonstrates the problem, and indicate which
browser(s) you've tested?