RE: RE: It doesn't make sense to use [MapClass] for the CacheList interface

Dominic wrote:

> I don't understand how an AsyncMap "interface" (class) could exist and be generic---especially not as a language construct.

If we do not make it as a language construct, AsyncMap interface would be defined in SW space just for Cache interface and CacheList interface I guess.

> Things are asynchronous for a reason, e.g. they require I/O to happen. No generic class could encapsulate that knowledge.
Promise already abstracts that async operation. AsyncMap is just a Map that runs async. No more no less. It does get/set/... the entry exactly the same way as Map does but returning Promise that resolves with the value.

> E.g. what does the algorithm for `get` say in AsyncMap? For some async maps it will do file I/O; for others, network I/O; for others, they will ask the user for values. A definition for `get` in a generic AsyncMap would have to delegate to some kind of `get` hook, but that's pointless, since you already have a `get` hook, namely the `get` method you're in the middle of defining.

The "hook" should be provided by additional methods defined in the derived class, when necessary. Assuming we have AsyncMap (something like the following) ready as a language construct in ES,
// Syntax is in TypeScript
interface AsyncMap<K, V> {
  get<K>(key: K): Promise;
  has<K>(key: K): Promise;
  set<K>(key: K, val: V): Promise;
  clear(): Promise;
  delete(key: K): Promise;
  forEach(callback: Function, thisArg?: Object): void;
  items(): Promise;
  keys(): Promise;
  values(): Promise;
}

We can define Cache interface as:
interface Cache: AsyncMap { // AsyncMap<Request, Response>
  add(...requests:any[]) : Promise {
    // for each request in requests:
    //   fetch(request)
    //   set the entry(request, response) to the map object
  };
  // AsyncMap.prototype
};

.add(requests) is the place to define the algorithm to do certain async I/O and set the result to the underlying map object. AsyncMap.prototype methods are supposed to provide the generic *async* Map operations.

Isn't it a good idea to have generic asynchronous Map in JavaScript? It's all async and we have Promise now. WDYT?

--
Jungkee Song
Samsung Electronics