Re: Custom Elements: 'data-' attributes

On Wed, 7 May 2014, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Wilson Page <wilsonpage@me.com> wrote:
> > I'm unsure whether or not it is safe to use custom attributes without
> > the 'data-', I've heard mixed opinions. How do we know that chosen
> > attributes won't someday be global attributes?
>
> Yeah, we should figure something out here. From one perspective you've
> already namespaced your element by using a dash. However, given the
> existence of an ever growing set of global attributes you probably do
> not want to clash with those.
>
> Maybe we should allow any attribute as long as it contains a dash (and
> does not match a set of existing names)? Still seems somewhat
> suboptimal.

Requiring a dash is pretty ugly. I would allow any attribute, and we'll
just have to be careful when introducing new global ones.

We only introduce them at the rate of ~one per year if you treat
namespaced groups of attributes like event handlers, microdata, or ARIA as
single units (which they more or less are, for this problem, I think).