Re: [Gamepad] Liveness of Gamepad objects

On 4/29/2014 10:39 AM, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
> The only major issue that needs to be fixed in the Gamepad API spec
> currently is the liveness of Gamepad objects[1].
After reading through the discussion here I'm leaning towards specifying
the snapshot behavior that Chrome implements. Regardless of whether we
spec an event-based update mechanism in the future, being able to refer
to a snapshot of Gamepad state seems useful, and there's not much
overhead in calling navigator.getGamepads()[i] instead of referring
directly to a saved Gamepad object.

My only reservation is that if Gamepad becomes a snapshot instead of a
live object, it feels weird to suggest adding output methods to it (like
adding vibration support). Perhaps I'm overthinking it, though.

Any other thoughts here?

-Ted