Re: Screen Orientation Status

Hi,

It looks better that we now finally have angles in the spec - but I still
don't see any direct link to how the X and Y axis should be mapped against
devices with "portrait primary" and "landscape primary" as their natural
"up" (terms that I as a web application developer still don't find very
useful - sorry).  Again - what happened to the initiative to take a
holistic view on DeviceOrientation, Media Queries and orientation lock all
together?

Not addressing these things will give real everyday issues when
manufacturers and developers both will mess up the mappings - what works on
one device will work opposite on the next.  As late as today, when trying
out the crosswalk framework, we realized that the mappings for landscape vs
XY-axis directions were opposite of what we have on the N9 and iPhone and
again differently mapped when running the exact same thing on a tablet with
"landscape primary" as "up" ... seriously... how many real developers have
been involved in making this spec? (I know I am starting to sound a bit
rude - but I am also tired of being ignored for 3 years on the topic).

Keep it simple:

"portrait up" = "global up" = "(x,y,z) = (0,1,0)" and everything else can
be mapped by even the worst app developer by trial and error .. if that's
what it takes.  No magic - no need to buy a range of devices to test on.

br
Lars (ex-Nokian/part of MeeGo N9/WK2 team)