Re: New manifest spec - ready for FPWD?

On Monday, December 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013, at 10:03, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> > From the research we’ve done, none of the proprietary solutions currently
> > do this. I’ve added this as a feature request [1] so we can see how much
> > interest there is.
>

> I think it is exaggerated to say that pages rely on the user seeing the
> page title.

I tend to agree (particularly for apps that have been added to the home screen). Apps that want to display their own name (e.g., Google’s Authenticator app on iOS does this) can do that with HTML.

Having said that, there are other contexts where showing the title makes sense (in a task switcher - or when organizing tabs). But that’s generally handled by the OS.
> It is very uncommon to be able to read more than a couple of
> words and depending on your browser/system you might not even see the
> page title at all (the case for me because I rarely have less than a
> dozen tabs open). I think the back button and reload buttons might be
> critical to be able to run some apps while the page title is simply a
> nice to have.

Yeah, I think I’m reaching the same conclusion. I’ll keep looking for other examples and document them here:
https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/89