Re: [custom elements] Improving the name of document.register()

On Dec 11, 2013 11:48 PM, "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2013, at 6:46 PM, Dominic Cooney <dominicc@google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 5:17 AM, piranna@gmail.com <piranna@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I have seen registerProtocolHandler() and it's being discused
registerServiceWorker(). I believe registerElementDefinition() or
registerCustomElement() could help to keep going on this path.

>>> Send from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

>> I support this proposal.

>> I think the method should be called registerElement, for these reasons:
>>
>> - It's more descriptive about the purpose of the method than just
"register."
>> - It's not too verbose; it doesn't have any redundant part.
>> - It's nicely parallel to registerProtocolHandler.
>

> I'd still refer declareElement (or defineElement) since registerElement
sounds as if we're registering an instance of element with something.
 Define and declare also match SGML/XML terminologies.

> - R. Niwa

Define/declare seem a little confusing because we are in the imperative
space where these have somewhat different connotations.  It really does
seem to me that conceptually we are registering (connecting the definition)
with the parser or something.  For whatever that comment is worth.