Re: Why can't we just use constructor instead of createdCallback?

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2013, at 8:43 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> There were several threads around this in March/April, but the main gist
> is that we can't allow running user code when the parser is building the
> tree, and thus we would need to decouple the timing of the constructor
> being called from the [[Construct]] internal method to make constructors
> workable.
>

> That sounds like an implementation detail of Blink/WebKit.  Also, JS
> "wrappers" aren't even constructed immediately for builtin elements in
> WebKit and Blink so delaying the construction of elements until later time
> (e.g. end of micro task) seems fine.

FWIW, the concern was brought up first by Microsoft's Tony Ross and then
separately Mozilla's Jonas Sicking. Technically, both Blink and WebKit are
capable of doing this. It's just mostly a terrible idea to interrupt tree
construction with user code. Delaying construction of elements until end of
microtask doesn't solve the problem -- you're just shifting the timing of
tree construction.

:DG<