Re: Styling form control elements

Yeah, the big issues come in with using the existing elements. Given <input
type="date">, we want to keep all of the semantics (the APIs, built-in
validation, etc.), but apply custom styling. Custom styling may come in the
form of CSS or it may come in the form of a completely new UI that uses JS.
The latter may or may not use shadow DOM. But the important thing is that
we don't actually want to create a new element type, we want to leverage
the existing ones. To complicate this further, we may want to just leave it
alone in some devices because the native behavior is already optimized.
Unfortunately it's hard to tell when that's the case.