Re: [webcomponents] HTML Imports

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Brian Di Palma <offler@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I would say though that I get the feeling that Web Components seems a
>> > specification that seems really pushed/rushed and I worry that might
>> > lead to some poor design decisions whose side effects will be felt by
>> > developers in the future.
>>
>> I very much share this sentiment.
>>

> It's a very reasonable and normal worry to have. I lose sleep over this
> worry all the time. The trick that helps me is balancing it out with the
> sadness of the geological timescale that it takes for Web platform to
> advance.

Just to help visualize the geological timescale, the work on Web Components
began in late 2010 (
http://wiki.whatwg.org/index.php?title=Component_Model_Use_Cases&oldid=5631),
and was chartered in this WG over 2 years ago (
http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/CharterChanges#Additions_Agreed).

To clarify my previous email: Web Components is an extremely hard problem
with lots of constraints, and a concern would be that we miss some bits is
totally fair. Qualifying this work as "pushed/rushed" probably ain't.

:DG<