Re: IndexedDB, Blobs and partial Blobs - Large Files

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Aymeric Vitte <vitteaymeric@gmail.com>wrote:

> OK for the different records but just to understand correctly, when you
> fetch {chunk1, chunk2, etc} or [chunk1, chunk2, etc], does it do something
> else than just keeping references to the chunks and storing them again with
> (new?) references if you didn't do anything with the chunks?

I believe you understand correctly, assuming a reasonable[1] IDB
implementation. Updating one record with multiple chunk references vs.
storing one record per chunk really comes down to personal preference.

[1] A conforming IDB implementation *could* store blobs by copying the data
into the record, which would be extremely slow. Gecko uses references (per
Jonas); Chromium will as well, so updating a record with [chunk1, chunk2,
...] shouldn't be significantly slower than updating a record not
containing Blobs. In Chromium's case there will be extra book-keeping going
on but no huge data copies.