Re: [manifest] orientation member

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013, at 15:48, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> > My impression has been that the vast majority of apps only need a
> > single orientation that is independent of media-query results. If
> > that's the case, then I think the above is too complicated. I.e. if
> > that is the common case, then we should support:
> >
> > "orientation": ["landscape"],
> >
> > or maybe even
> >
> > "orientation": "landscape",
>
> I definitely agree with that. Though, we should allow both syntaxes
> (array and string).
> If we want a more complex system later, we could move to that. For the
> moment, I think we should keep it simple.

It seems an even simpler option would be to simply omit viewport from the
manifest for now unless someone can provide a more compelling reason for it
being there.

> Also, when comparing how
> applications handle landscape/portrait, it is worth considering how
> common/easy it is to write responsive UI on the platform. iOS has a very
> limited number of device sizes so I am not really surprised that iOS
> applications try to optimize for some sizes (thus arbitrary ignore some
> others). Is that common on Android? Would that be common using Web
> applications?
>
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013, at 22:03, John Mellor wrote:
> > Assuming @viewport is included in inline CSS in the <head> (which it
> > needs
> > to be anyway, so the preload scanner can evaluate media attributes and
> > responsive images), then the UA will parse the @viewport before it starts
> > painting anything. Is there any benefit to the UA knowing the orientation
> > before it starts painting the page?
>
> Not sure. Maybe if there are some bits of system UI, rotating that could
> take longer than painting?

How do the various UAs plan on avoiding a white flash of unpainted page
when launching web apps? One potential solution to the white flash might be
to delay opening a window for the web app until first paint. In which case,
you wouldn't want to rotate the system UI before launching your window
anyway...