Re: [screen-orientation] Locking to 'current' orientation

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 2:52, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> IMHO, it would be confusing to have an app that when you launch it the
> first time locks one way... but when you launch it the next time, locks
> another way.
>
> In the 300 apps we've been cataloguing for orientation [1], there is not
> a single instance of that exhibits this behaviour. I've also never
> personally seen any app do this on startup.
>
> Mounir, what is the use case for locking to "current" on startup? Which
> applications do you know that exhibit this behaviour?

Eh... My understanding was that there was a consensus for this to be
added. I was told that you pointed the iOS UC. I quite agree with you
that it does not sound like a nice UX. I was willing to spec that
because I assumed there was a consensus. If there is not, we should
discuss it further ;)

> > > the one with JavaScript seems more clear to me (as it's more evident that it's dynamically derived). "current" is kinda weird because setting the orientation is an async operation, so by the time you work out what "current" is, it might not longer be the "current" one... so it's kind or a race condition.
> >
> > Why? If it rotating at the moment you call it, it could just fail, if
> > it is not, it could lock immediately. It is no different from using
> > the window.screen.orientation.
>
> Sure, but it's more about setting expectations. For me personally, using
> "window.screen.orientation" is more explicit about what I want... like:
>
> var current = screen.orientation;
> console.log("ok! locking it to:", current );
> screen.lockOrientation(current);
>
> "current" is more like requesting. That's just me tho.

If 'current' is added, I wouldn't say that there is a race condition
issue because if you lock to 'current' you do not really care about the
actual orientation.

This said, I do not think that 'current' is very useful from the JS API,
it only saves a few characters.

--
Mounir