Re: Fixing appcache: a proposal to get us started

> This seems to me that this is some kind of add scripting habilities to
> the AppCache manifest, while we already have Javascript, and allowing
> it to do that will lead us to something fairly similar (in fact, a
> sub-set) of what ServiceWorkers can do. Why duplicate efforts then?
> Manifest files are good for static content, but for other cases there
> are better tools.

Yes and no. Primary differences:

1. I'm not advocating for full scriptability, just basic support detection,
e.g.:
      `if accepts("audio/ogg") ...`

    The main problem I'd see there is if the browser also needs to know
what plugins
    (or even JS libs, I suppose) are capable of consuming.

2. AFAIK, using ServiceWorkers requires that the resources are
programmatically
    fetched *by* the ServiceWorker. This is different than a manifest which
is capable
    of figuring the cache out on the fly as resources are loaded.

I'm not opposed to just punted and saying that ServiceWorker is the way to
deal
with this, though.  I have no personal use cases at the moment for this
functionality... just playing devil's advocate for the OP. :)

Sincerely,
    James Greene